[Orgmode] Help needed: Example of using table.el in org file

From: srinivas
Subject: [Orgmode] Help needed: Example of using table.el in org file
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:52:53 +0000 (UTC)

I have read some previous posts in this mailing list that row and column span
for tables is not possible in OrgMode and not likely to be implemented in the
future.

I also read that it is possible to use table.el to achieve row and column span
for tables.

However, I haven't been able to achieve the desired output as shown below:

* Org mode table

| Table header 1 | Table Header 2 |
|----------------+----------------|
| Row 1, Col 1   | Row 1, Col 2   |
| Row 2, Col 1   | Row 2, Col 2   |
| Row 3, Col 1   | Row 3, Col 2   |

* Table.el table

| Table header 1 | Table Header 2 |
| Row 1, Col 1 and 2              |
| Row 2, Col 1   | Row 2&3, Col 2 |
| Row 3, Col 1   |                |

Question: Is it possible to combine the power of both org-mode and table.el to
get the desired output of multiple row and column span? If so, can anyone
please post an example of using a table.el generated table in the midst of .org
file and see the output.

Thank you in advance for your help.