Re: [Orgmode] Basic orgmode tutorial

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Basic orgmode tutorial
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:07:33 +0100

Dear Dan,
dear Russell,
dear Carsten,

On 24.03.2010, at 20:07, Dan Davison wrote:

> Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I discussed this with a few users off an on.
>>
>> In the manual there are items required to setup org, keybindings, etc.
>>
>> The idea would be to include:
>>
>> - An Agenda file, which loads by default
>> - Init file which
>>   - Preconfigured keybindings
>>   - Remember keybinding for basic todo to agenda file
>>   - Configured auto-mode-alist
>>   - Recommended Global key maps
>
> I think this sort of approach, perhaps as part of an org-mode emacs
> distribution, sounds like a very good idea.

I agree and I had in mind "distributions" for Windows and for MacOS X. Windows
is not my favourite platform, however, this is also true for many users who
have no choice. I have already played a little with the "official" GNU
distribution over the last weeks: if one adds a recent Org-mode version
(upgrading Org-mode on Windows is a bit of a pain and an efficient way to lose
potential new users...) and (optionally) a standard Windows installer (we like
http://nsis.sourceforge.net for our own projects), a little more "tweaking"
will get you a long way towards a real out-of-the-box Org-mode on Windows.

There is also some work in progress on an Org-mode package for Aquamacs (MacOS
X) here. The idea is that upgrading Aquamacs to the latest Org-mode release
should be possible with a single click (or fairly few clicks anyway).

Both projects would benefit from and depend on suggestions on how to implement
Russell's list. Let me emphasize that we have no ambition to create new
"distributions" from scratch: I am quite confident that the existing Windows
GNU version and Aquamacs will only need comparatively minor changes.

Once upon a time I would have found an approach involving "distributions" to
upgrade only small portions of a large software package wasteful and
inefficient. However, these days we have the bandwidth and, I feel, the
advantages of potential new users outweigh the inelegance of this brute force
method.

Any comments are welcome.
Warm regards,
 Stefan