Re: [Orgmode] Re: using orgmode to send html mail?

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: using orgmode to send html mail?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:00:24 +0200

Eric Schulte wrote:
>Hi,

>Given the current setup, sending messages with multiple multipart
>sections is simply one optional way of using the `org-mime-htmlize'
>function.  By default when `org-mime-htmlize' is called without an
>active region the entire message body is encoded as a single MIME
>multipart/alternative -- the simpler approach you advocate below.

>That said, I'm not sure what you are arguing for.  Are you arguing that
>the option to send multiple multipart/alternative sections be removed?

Yes I would remove it until some further investigations into the world
of MIME and MUAs.  It can be easily added later.

Why not create an example message and throw it against as much MUAs as
possible?  This will at least allow us to go further than our personal
experience: If the majority of tested MUAs displays the message as
intended, than fine -- provide this functionallity with a warning.

I've tested so far with a really simple one:

 | MUA                  | Display ok?                             |
 |----------------------+-----------------------------------------|
 | Thunderbird 2.x      | Yes, horizontal lines between the parts |
 | MS Outlook Express 6 | Yes, horizontal lines between the parts |
 | Google               | Yes                                     |
 | GMX                  | Kind of...                              |
 | Squirrelmail         | Yes                                     |
 | Wanderlust           | Yes                                     |

Should be on the list: mutt, Evolution, Mail.app, smartphone-thins,
Opera Mail...

 -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6