[Orgmode] Creating a "multi-state checkbox"

From: Chad Birch
Subject: [Orgmode] Creating a "multi-state checkbox"
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 17:40:09 -0600

Hello,

I'm fairly new to org-mode (but loving it so far), so my apologies if this is something that's been discussed before, I had no luck finding a similar topic in the mailing list or docs.

I've been using nested checkboxes to set up lists of tasks I need to perform, because I really like being able to use [/] and [%] to display my overall progress at the higher levels. In some cases though, it would be convenient if there was a way to create a "checkbox" with more states than just binary on/off. For example, I have a task that I need to repeat 10 times. I would like some way to mark my progress, and then have the "checkbox" be completed once I've reached 10. Of course, this can already be achieved in (at least) two ways:

 - manually tracking the progress and manually checking off once I've completed it 10 times
 - creating 10 sub-checkboxes

However, I'm wondering if there is some way to do it automatically, it would be nice to just have a keypress for "increment counter" and have it automatically complete when the target value is reached.

Thanks,

 - Chad