Re: [Orgmode] Exporting to HTML opens resulting file

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Exporting to HTML opens resulting file
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:44:04 +0200

Hi Gary,

maybe we need to settle some terminology first.

When Org-mode exports, is is actually producing the product in a buffer. So the buffer is there first. When it is complete, the buffer is written to a file, but stays in Emacs - so we now have a buffer visiting the file on the disk.

So if you are exporting in order to produce the file, you may not want to keep the buffer. That is a perfectly reasonable request. Of course, sometimes you might want to look at the buffer - in that case you'd want to keep it.

So there is no general solution for this.

The variable org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed has the following effect: Some export commands do not only produce the export file, but immediately display it with an appropriate viewer. For example, `C-c C-e b' should open your browser. And `C-c C-e d' should produce a PDF file and open it with a PDF viewer (not sure if this did work in the quite old version of Org-mode you have). If immediate opening does not work, something funny if going on. This should work.

HTH

- Carsten