Re: [Orgmode] [org-babel] How to tangle "org-mode" files?

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [org-babel] How to tangle "org-mode" files?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:10:50 -0400

Daniel Brunner <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am testing some ideas with org-babel (which is really great work) and
> got the following problem: I want to put several org-mode source blocks
> in one org-mode file and tangle them afterwards. Therefore I produced
> the following a.org:
>
> -->8--
> #+begin_src org :tangle in-a.org
>   ,* Foo
>   ,** Bar
> #+end_src
> -->8--
>
> Then I thought I have to add "org" to the list of known tangle
> languages:
>
>> (add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("org" "org"))
>
> And when I know try a org-babel-tangle for example with
>
>> (org-babel-tangle-file "a.org")
>
> Nothing happens.
>
> Can anybody help with what I am doing wrong?

Hi Daniel,

Short answer: please add

(org-babel-add-interpreter "org")

Long answer: I think there is room for improvement in org-babel
here. For example, the protective commas are not stripped out on
tangling, but I feel that they should be. And we need to clarify in the
documentation when org-babel-add-interpreter is needed and when adding
to org-babel-tangle-langs is required. I'm adding this to our todo list.

Best wishes,

Dan