Re: [Orgmode] Bug: create latex png while export to HTML become very slo

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug: create latex png while export to HTML become very slow [6.35i]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:59:22 -0400

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Lucas Peng wrote:

> > After upgrade to 6.35i, export .org file with latex fragment become
> > extremly slow.
>
> Has anybody else noticed this?

I don't think so but I have some questions for Lucas:

o what's 6.35i? I just pulled and I get "Org-mode version 6.35trans
(release_6.35g.54.g69402)"

o exporting to what? LaTeX? HTML? If the latter, are you talking about
  the time that dvipng takes to make the images ? That is indeed long,
  (see below) but I doubt it has changed very much from one org version
  to the next.

An example org file and some measurements of how much time it took before
and how much time it takes now would be helpful in determining what
the problem is (if there is one).

E.g. the following file (pretty much straight from the Org manual) took
about 8 seconds to be exported the first time (after the images are
cached, exporting again is instant) with the current version of org:

,----

| * foo
|
|      \begin{equation}                          % arbitrary environments,
|      x=\sqrt{b}                                % even tables, figures
|      \end{equation}                            % etc
|
|      If $a^2=b$ and \( b=2 \), then the solution must be
|      either $$ a=+\sqrt{2} $$ or \[ a=-\sqrt{2} \].
`----

The exact time will vary a bit depending on the machine, emacs versions
and various other factors of course. What times do you get?

Thanks,
Nick