Re: [Orgmode] Re: unique id=-values in aggregated html-exported docs

From: Dirk-Jan C . Binnema
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: unique id=-values in aggregated html-exported docs
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:02:50 +0300

  SR> Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <address@hidden> writes:
  >> Hi,

  CE> Can you list which html elements are the problem?
  CE> Does it help if you use the BODY-ONLY option (C-h f org-export-as-html)?
  >>
  >> Actually, that's what I'm doing already (through org-publish). The final
  >> (aggegated) result is at:
  >> http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/changelog/index.html
  >> I got warned by tidy. I think it wouldn't be too hard easy to fix this by
  >> adding a per-document random cookie to these ids.

  SR> Can you verify, that those are clashing IDs?

Sure:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--
  % cat index.html | grep id=
[....]

            <h3 id="sec-1">
            <h3 id="sec-1">
            <h3 id="sec-2">
            <h3 id="sec-1">
[...]

So, the issue is with aggregating separate exported html blobs into one page;
of course org-mode has no real control over the uniqueness of the ids then.

My idea would be that we could add some per-exported org-file cookie, so the
ids could be something like:

   id="text-456EF-1"

Then we shouldn't get these clashes when aggregating them later. It's a bit of
a small imperfection, except when you want to do something with those ids.

There is a somewhat related issue with footnotes (id=footnotes and
href=#fnr.1), that could be a practical problem, i.e.. you might jump to the
wrong footnote.

  >> BTW, tidy also warned me about missing summary= attributes for tables; is
  >> there some way to add those?

  SR> Yes, summary is required. We all forgot to add it. It's meant to take a
  SR> description of the table's content and some browsers use it for
  SR> accessability purposes (I guess the summary is read aloud then).

  SR> A quick fix would be to just add `summary=""' to the table definition:

Well, it's easy to shut up the html-validators (like tidy), but for true
accessibility it'd be nice to set the summary to something meaningful (same
for the alt= attribute of images). Not sure if that is a priority right now,
and I guess it might add some complexity.

Anyway, these are all fairly minor points (for me at least, I don't use the
a11y stuff -- in general I'd like to applaud the excellent work that has been
done in the html-export area, which I enjoy every day.

Best wishes,
Dirk.

[1] http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:address@hidden           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl