[Orgmode] Re: Clocking in the current task should clock it out first

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Clocking in the current task should clock it out first
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 16:44:16 -0400

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mar 22, 2010, at 8:25 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> I can't get the clock resolution/idle time code to do anything really
>> useful in my setup.  If I do org-resolve-clocks when my current task is
>> clocking it asks for how many minutes to keep etc, and then clocks in
>> from *now* leaving a hole in my clock data which I don't want.
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly how this stuff is supposed to work - maybe John can
>> shed some light on this.  I can't find documentation about resolving
>> clocks in the regular org-mode documentation either.  I remember an
>> article John posted on the mailing list but I don't think that got into
>> the official org-mode documentation other than the lisp functions and
>> docstrings.
>
> Can you be a bit clearer here, Bernt?  I use the clock resolver
> constantly and have not been having the kinds of problem you describe.
> I'd like to get these hammered out now, though.

I'll try :)

I just turned it on in my setup by setting the following variables for
this session:

,----
`----

,----
| org-clock-idle-time is a variable defined in `org-clock.el'.
| Its value is 1
`----

I haven't tried the idle time stuff yet.  I have a clocking entry to
test with that looks like this:

,----
| * NEXT Respond to John's email on clocking
|   SCHEDULED: <2010-05-16 Sun>
|   :CLOCK:
|   CLOCK: [2010-05-16 Sun 15:29]
|   :END:
`----

and I've been playing with starting clocks with open clock entries.  I'm
a bit confused about the prompt when I clock in with an open clock.  The
prompt seems to be geared towards the idle time stuff but I currently
don't have any idle time -- I'm just clocking in an open entry.

If I clock out, change the clock entry as above so that it is dangling
and then clock it in I get the following prompt:

"Dangling clock started 36 minutes ago [(kK)p (sS)ub (C)ncl (i)gn]"

As far as I can tell k and K are identical, s, S, and C are identical
and i leaves it untouched.

k and K asks me how many minutes to keep and then clocks in the entry
from now.

s, S, and C removes the open clock and clocks in the entry from now.

i leaves it alone and clocks in from the time of the open entry.

For this case I think it would make sense to simplify the prompt to just
k, s, and i (or whatever makes sense in this scenario).

Setting org-clock-auto-clock-resolution to t doesn't make any sense in
my setup since it asks for every clock-in what I want to do with the
minutes on my currently clocking entry.

I'm about to go light the barbecue for dinner... so I'll see what the
idle time stuff does shortly I hope.

Well that didn't seem to work.  It's been 15 minutes and as far as I can
tell the idle time stuff didn't do anything.  I clocked in another task
when the clock was still running and it simply closed the clock of my
open task and started the new clock normally.

Am I missing something in my setup to enable the idle time detection?

Regards,
Bernt