Re: [Orgmode] Re: Refile target caching

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Refile target caching
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 07:57:10 +0200

On May 18, 2010, at 2:14 AM, Richard Riley wrote:

Hi Sebastian, hi Samuel,

I remember that both of you have in the past reported that refiling
has a long startup time because of target collection.

I have now built a cache for refile targets and would like you to try
it out.

(setq org-refile-use-cache t)

This will speed up refile target collection for the second and further
instance.
If you are moving or adding entries that are targets themselves, that
chace needs to be cleared with prefix arg 0 (zero), i.e. `C-0 C-c C- w'
or, if you prefer, with a triple C-u prefix.

Samuel, note that this only speeds up target collection - it does
nothing to the overhead added by ido - so we will have to see how much
this helps for your use-case.

- Carsten

On the subject of refile, I frequently refile C-c C-w from the new item
buffer in which case the item is correctly refiled but the new item
buffer empties and remains open. Is there a way to configure it that after
the C-c C-w the new org item buffer closes?

By "new item buffer", do you mean a remember buffer?  Then:

Just exit with `C-1 C-c C-c'.  This will use refile to file the
new entry, and it will remove the buffer.

HTH

- Carsten