Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-info.js

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-info.js
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 17:37:54 +0200

On May 19, 2010, at 4:34 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

Dan Davison <address@hidden> wrote:

If I'm viewing the manual with Sebastian's org-info javascript info
emulation, and I'm on node 13 of the manual, what key do I press to get
to 13.1?

I wish I were better with info. My understanding is that I would use
space or ] in emacs.

In emacs info, <SPACE> advances down the imaginary scroll, so it may or may not get you to the next (sub)section, depending on the length of the
current section and the size of your screen. ']' will go to the next
node in a depth-first traversal, 'n' will get you to the next node in a
level-traversal (always assuming that the relevant nodes exist).
Numeric arguments will get you to the relevant subsection (i.e. if you are in sec. 13 and press 6, you'll end up in subsection 13.6 - assuming that it exists), whereas 'n' and 'p' will get you to the next/ previous
heading at the same level and 'u' will go up a level.

Now I'm on much shakier ground (iow, I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about), but I think `n' does a depth-first traversal, so it will
go from 13 to 13.1 - the question is how to go from 13 to 14 without
visiting all the 13.x... in-between:

Actually, no, n goes from 13 to 14 (at least in google-chrome). But I'm
with you -- it seems to behave differently in

http://orgmode.org/worg/code/org-info-js

There n does the depth-first traversal you describe (and that is the
behaviour I'm looking for).

So
- how to get the full traversal in the org manual?

- why is there different behaviour between the manual and the worg page?

Because the manual is created by texinfo, Worg is published by Org-mode.
I also would love to have a depth-first way to travel in the manual - but I don't know how.

I *am* hacking the html manual pages already (UTILITIES/mansplit.pl) to get the sidebar toc in there - the same program could maybe also hack some of those keys, I guess. But I don't know how. And there are issues of what people expect. I love it that Sebastian has made a way to travel depth-first, but I also think that people who are used to read texinfo manpages like to have consistent keys....

- Carsten

Dan

I thought I would go UP to the TOC
and then TAB to or click on the next section, but the UP link does not seem to do what I think it should do (go up one level in the hierarchy -
at least that seems to be the case in the org-info pages:
http://orgmode.org/worg/code/org-info-js). I'm not saying there is no
way: I just didn't find one after a few minutes of fooling around.

HTH,
Nick