Re: [Orgmode] unordered list feature request: new sub-lists automatical

From: Juri Krivov
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] unordered list feature request: new sub-lists automatically switch to different list-character
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:22:46 +0200

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Livin Stephen Sharma <address@hidden> wrote:

Context/Sample org content

**** unordered list
+ topA
  + innerA1
  + innerA2
+ topB
  + innerB1

**** unordered list
+ topA
  - innerA1 <--- '-' used automatically instead of '+'
  - innerA2 <--- " " "
+ topB
  - innerB1 <--- " " "

When creating nested/child lists ('innerX' items) under an existing list item ('topX' items),
the current behaviour does not make an effort to change the leading list-denoter character (-,+,*).

Could a feature be provided where creating a such a child-list would make this list's items begin with a different list-denoter?

I find it helps readability (and hence efficiency when working with lists) when I manually (S-left, S-right) do this. If others agree, perhaps this could be provided as a built-in feature?

I don't know lisp, (& it's increasingly looking like it may be time to *find* the time to learn JJ) so I can't code this myself.

There seems to be already a setting that can achieve this.
It was discussed long time ago, here
In org-list.el, there is variable org-list-demote-modify-bullet.  I have not tried,
but it looks similar to your request.