[Orgmode] Re: tab visibility cycling doesn't work over putty/ssh with vi

From: Herbert Sitz
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: tab visibility cycling doesn't work over putty/ssh with viper-mode enabled
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 21:02:00 +0000 (UTC)

Jan Böcker <jan.boecker <at> jboecker.de> writes:

>Visibility cycling with TAB works both in command and insert mode.
> I can also access the agenda using C-c a a.
>
>Looks like putty is misconfigured. While quickly
>scanning through
>putty's configuration menu, the only setting I
>noticed was "Connection
>-> Data -> Terminal-type string", which is
>set to "xterm" here.
>
>However, I did not modify the default values,
>so it should work out of
>the box.
>
>You can try logging in with putty, executing
>"sleep 5", and interrupting
>that with C-c. If that does not work,
>the problem is definitely not
>emacs related.
>
>HTH, Jan

Jan --

Thanks, but I still haven't solved this yet
and I don't think there's any
problem with PuTTY configuration.

However, my problems with TAB key and C-C appear
to be quite different, and only the TAB key one
appears to be unique to using PuTTY/ssh.

First, regarding C-c a not working to bring up
agenda-view, this problem exists on my
emacs instance in Ubuntu even when
using it directly, not through ssh.
Pressing C-c a gives error message
'C-c a is undefined', despite the fact that
agenda-view works fine when accessing it
through the menu system.  Frustrating,
but it has nothing to do with PuTTY.
(And PuTTY does send C-c properly to stop
the 'sleep 5' process in a bare terminal.)

Second, the problem with TAB key in viper-mode
does seem specific to PuTTY/ssh,
since it works fine when working directly.
This doesn't seem possible that it's
a PuTTY problem, since so far as I can tell
TAB works properly in all other
modes, and it works properly to cycle
visibility as soon as I turn viper-mode off.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
I'm wondering if you have any others?. . .

Regards,

Herb