[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Orgmode] Re: [PATCH] only display a scheduled item if it is due to

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [PATCH] only display a scheduled item if it is due today or in the past
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:55:07 -0500

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Carsten Dominik
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>> Hi Carsten,
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>>> can someone please summarize what the status of this discussion is?
>>> I have lost track....

I apologize for commenting on this issue again, but I wanted to share
my solution.

First, maybe my use-case is slightly different than everyone else's,
but here it is:

I'm looking for jobs currently, and I want a reminder to Check
Monster.com every two days.

But, I do not want this item to show up in my weekly agenda 3 separate
times.  I tried org-habit, but I do not want the red/green habit graph
showing up in my agenda.  It's just a personal preference.

So, I set up an item like this:

*** TODO Check Monster.com
    SCHEDULED: <2010-06-16 Wed .+2d>
    :STYLE:    habit

I tried the skip-function mentioned here, and couldn't get it to work,
so I tried org-habit again, and I found that if I set

org-habit-show-habits-only-for-today to not-nil
and if I set
org-habit-graph-column to -1 then it successfully hides the graph.

So, that's my solution, and it's great for only seeing these "habits"
once, and not littering up my agenda with future TODOs with these
I'm using Org 6.35

Hope this helps,

>> As I understand it, the proposed patch hides items scheduled in the
>> future in the weekly agenda. E.g., if it is Monday, tasks scheduled for
>> Friday with a "STYLE=hidden" property would not appear under the Friday
>> slot in the weekly agenda.
>> I believe this is a perfect scenario for a skip-function. I offered an
>> example in this post:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/24856/focus=25595
>> If you do decide to apply the patch, I would request that an option be
>> added to turn off the check for a STYLE=hidden property, so as to
>> minimize any undesired expenses in constructing the agenda.
>> My argument is that if a test can be accommodated by current
>> configuration options (e.g., the skip-function) and is unlikely to be
>> invoked by a significant number of users, it should not be
>> hard-coded.
> Thanks Matt.  I follow your argument.  This certainly should
> be configurable, but in fact I think this can indeed easily
> be done with a skip function like you showed.
> And I do not understand the point of the weekly agenda.  The
> whole point of the weekly agenda is to show what will be
> coming up during he next dasy, so in a way hiding items that
> are scheduled on those days is defeating the purpose of the
> weekly agenda.
> Greetings
> - Carsten
>> Best,
>> Matt
> - Carsten
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Please use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> address@hidden
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]