[Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:51:27 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> - a new buffer is opened (group where the mail belongs to), but it takes
>>>   ages (in minutes) for the mail to be found and opened -- when it is.
>>
>> I've just tried it with a nntp group and linked a very old message. When I
>> follow that link, I'm at the right article in less than a second.
>
> Tested links to mails belonging to two different groups:
>
>     nnimap+me:INBOX.abc                               0 Unread/  1963 Items
>     nnimap+me:INBOX.work                             25 Unread/ 28611 Items
>
> [...] for the mail belonging to my `work' group, it took 5 min 21 seconds...
>
> What do you think of this?
>

>> Do you deactivate some of Gnus caches
>
> ;; use the cache
> (setq gnus-use-cache nil)

I've updated it to `t'.

> ;; local cache
> (setq gnus-cache-directory (concat my-gnus-root-dir "Mail/cache/"))
>
> ;; entering of articles from the cache
> (setq gnus-cache-enter-articles '(ticked dormant unread read))
>     ;; simple setup for your convenience, if you are using `nnimap' from
>     ;; home, over a dialup connection
>
> ;; removing of articles from the cache
> (setq gnus-cache-remove-articles nil)
>
> ;; cache your nnimap groups
> (setq gnus-cacheable-groups "^nnimap")
>
> ;; avoid caching your nnml and nnfolder groups
> (setq gnus-uncacheable-groups "^nnml\\|^nnfolder")
>
> ;; cache of old Message-IDs for every message Gnus sees
> (setq nnmail-message-id-cache-file
>       (concat my-gnus-root-dir "Mail/.nnmail-cache"))
>
> ;; whether the registry should be installed
> (setq gnus-registry-install t)
>
> ;; whether the registry should use long group names
> (setq gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t)
>
> ;; unlimited number of entries in the registry
> (setq gnus-registry-max-entries nil)

Rest stayed as it was.

I've read the couple of mails I was linking to. I've restarted Emacs (and
Gnus) a couple of times.

No change.

It still takes around 5 mins to find the mail in my `work' group. Even when
clicking a second time in the same Emacs/Gnus session.

I've checked the cache; in /home/sva/Mail/cache/nnimap+me:INBOX.work, I have a
copy of the linked email:

  -rw-r--r-- 1 sva sva   1631 2010-06-28 14:09 28606

I really don't understand the problem.

And, if I interrupt that 5-min process, Gnus becomes completely unusable. C-g,
then g is completely stuck. Going to the servers list (via ^) does not work
either. I'm forced to restart Emacs and Gnus.

And still 5 minutes to find the linked email, in the next session.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban