[Orgmode] tabular logging of values in habits and other repeating tasks

From: Michael Gilbert
Subject: [Orgmode] tabular logging of values in habits and other repeating tasks
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 00:46:38 -0700

Hi —

So, I think there must be a way to do this, but I'm stumped.

Here's what I am trying to set up: I want to be able to log a series of values
(rather than just DONE or note) for my habits. For example: "Did I run today?"
can be tracked with regular logging. But "OK, you ran. How many miles?" can't,
as far as I can tell. I know I can set those tasks to offer up an interface for
notes, but each of those notes is a distinct item, right? I want to find a way
to leverage the power of orgmode tables/columns by logging a value (or possibly
more than one) in a single table with a line for each repetition of the task.
So, for one habit the value might be "miles run". I'm a tango dancer, so for
another the value might be "minutes of drills done". I can imagine
circumstances with more than one column as well. For example, if I were
tracking exercise in general, I might want one column for the type of exercise
and another for the number of minutes performed.

In general, I am trying to break my ties to a number of simpler data-logging
tools (web apps, text files) and just centralize this into Org-Mode where it
belongs.

Any advice?

— Michael