Re: [Orgmode] wrap text in table cell?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] wrap text in table cell?
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:22:45 -0500

I was just asking about this. I'm not sure I figured out the best way, but it seems to work for me. I am exporting my tables to LaTeX primarily so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not...

Here's the recent series of messages: http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2010-07/msg00068.html

The typical LaTeX table alignment is something like l|l|l for text which means left aligned text with vertical dividers. Instead of l you can use p{width} to specify a fixed column width which will wrap. In org, put this in your file and export it to LaTeX PDF

#+ATTR_LaTeX: align= |l|l|
|row 1|test of some really really long text because I want to see if it will wrap; what in the world will happen to it?|
|row 2|test of some not so long test|

#+ATTR_LaTeX: align= |l|p{10cm}|
|row 1|test of some really really long text because I want to see if it will wrap; what in the world will happen to it?|
|row 2|test of some not so long test|

You can play with the 10cm value to figure out what you want to do. I essentially use trial and error. I export, check the result, and leave every 'fine' column as the l (left) alignment and then target ones with longer text to prevent them from going off the page. If you were looking for a more 'automatic' or 'intelligent' method, I'm not sure that it exists and not sure anyone could agree on the rules it should follow anyway (should it wrap a particular column? Just the longest one? Just the right-most one?).

Does this help?

John