Re: [Orgmode] .ods opens file in Emacs, not OpenOffice

From: Anthony Lander
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] .ods opens file in Emacs, not OpenOffice
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:28:38 -0400

On 10-Jul-26, at 8:54 PM, C64 Whiz wrote:

Hello,

I've searched for an answer but can't find a simple one. I have an OpenOffice document (.ods) I'd like to link to in my .org files. So I have the following syntax:

  [[file:c:/mydata/myfile.ods][File Description]]

When I click on the link in OrgMode, Emacs opens the file and not OpenOffice. Yet, when I'm in file explorer (yes, Windows), double clicking the file does open up Open Office. So I know the association is there.

Try C-u C-c C-o. On my mac, that switches whether the link opens in emacs or through the operating system file association (although mine is the reverse. With the prefix it opens in emacs. Not sure why). From the doc-string for org-open-at-point:

        (org-open-at-point &optional IN-EMACS REFERENCE-BUFFER)

        Open link at or after point.
        If there is no link at point, this function will search forward up to
        the end of the current line.
        Normally, files will be opened by an appropriate application.  If the
        optional argument IN-EMACS is non-nil, Emacs will visit the file.
        With a double prefix argument, try to open outside of Emacs, in the
        application the system uses for this file type.

Hope this helps,

  -Anthony