Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org file rendering/manipulation too slow

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org file rendering/manipulation too slow
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 22:37:28 -0500

HI Nicholas, thanks for the reply,

>How long does it take for emacs to show
>you the file?

>From the moment I press <enter> on the minibuffer to the moment the
whole file is rendered, it takes about 3 seconds. So, it does take
longer than I would expect.

I have a 10-months old Macbook, and its specs are quite recent, check
out (from System Profiler):

  Model Name:   MacBook
  Model Identifier:     MacBook6,1
  Processor Name:       Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:      2.26 GHz
  Number Of Processors: 1
  Total Number Of Cores:        2
  L2 Cache:     3 MB
  Memory:       4 GB
  Bus Speed:    1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:     MB61.00C8.B00
  SMC Version (system): 1.51f53
  Serial Number (system):       W89483Q78PX
  Hardware UUID:        413C6EF2-12B3-5C38-A3CA-5A1F924867D7
  Sudden Motion Sensor:
  State:        Enabled

So, the system is quite capable and is definetly should not be the bottleneck.

What I note though is that when I open this big org file and try to
naviagate around, the Emacs.app CPU usage goes up to 100% and then
gradually goes down to 0 as I stop giving any other commands. Check
out the screenshot below:

http://i56.tinypic.com/123sbcj.png

When I run "ps awlx | grep emacs", I get the following output:

 >501  5733  5578   0  31  0  2425520    168 -      R+   s000
0:00.00 grep emacs

Some additional information:

Emacs version string:

>GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29) of 2010-05-08
>on black.local

Org-mode version string:

>Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01g.20.gdd484.dirty)

It is really unfortunate that org-mode runs like this on OSX. I can't
really think of anything else I could use to manage my personal
information and todo lists, but handling big orgfiles, as of now, is
really starting to be a blocker :-(

Thanks for the help,

Marcelo.