[Orgmode] Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?

From: Noorul Islam K M
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:47:05 +0530

> On Sep 22, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Noorul Islam K M wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

>>> In what way does it fail to work?
>>>
>>> AFAICT, it works as advertised: after inserting the above line, I
>>> try to
>>> insert a NDisks property with
>>>
>>>       C-c C-x p NDisks<RET>5<RET>
>>>
>>> and it complains ("No match").  If I use e.g. 3 instead of 5, the
>>> property is inserted.
>>>

>> In the below example

>> #+PROPERTY: Age 25
>> #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>>
>> * Heading 1
>> * Heading 2
>>
>> When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using the
>> format that I mentioned at the file level.
>>
>> But the following one works

>> * Heading 1
>>  :PROPERTIES:
>>  :Age: 25
>>  :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>>  :END:
>> * Heading 2
>>
>> Looks like the file level settings are not working.
>
> They are, but
>
> 1. inheritance is not on by default, you need to enable
>    if for specific properties.
>
> 2. Column view never looks at inherited values.  That iswhy it is
>    not using org-entry-get with an inheritance flag.  Column view
>    only shows and edits properties that are local to each entry.
>    Otherwise, editing an inherited value would silently
>    edit it also for other entries.

I have this variable org-use-property-inheritance set as 'nil' and have
the following contents in the file.

#+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %10Age
#+PROPERTY: Age_ALL 1 2 3 4 5 6

* Heading 1
* Heading 2

With this I am able to edit Age property using C-c C-x C-c and by
pressing e on Age column for both the headings.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul