[Orgmode] Tips for writing lecture notes in org-beamer?

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: [Orgmode] Tips for writing lecture notes in org-beamer?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:56:34 +0100

Dear all,

Has anyone recently used org-beamer to write lecture notes?  I'm now
updating my lecture notes on a R course, which previously I wrote in
latex with beamer.  I'm intrigued by the possibility of using org mode
directly, although I am yet to be convinced whether it will be any
easier than using auctex directly.  Has anyone written a set of lecture
notes recently in org mode, to persuade me?

For example, see http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/eglen/emacs/beamer.txt
for how I set up emacs with beamer, so that e.g. the table of contents
feature from reftex-toc works.  Also, I have auctex set up so that C-M-x
"sends" the current slide to latex for processing, so that I can just
see how the current slide gets typeset rather than recompiling the whole
document.  Can I process just the current slide in org mode?

So far I've found the following two sites useful:

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/10/writing-presentations-with-org-mode-and.html

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php
[In this tutorial.php, the link in footnote 1 is brokenn -- how do I
download presentation.org?]

For those interested, my R lecture notes (both .tex and beamer pdf) are
freely available as accompanying material for a paper I wrote last year:

  http://www.ploscompbiol.org/doi/pcbi.1000482

If I make significant progress with org mode and beamer, I'd be happy to
provide extra materials.

Best wishes, Stephen