[Orgmode] Re: Fixing slowness of following Gnus links to IMAP articles

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Fixing slowness of following Gnus links to IMAP articles
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:53:01 -0400

Hi David,

David Maus <address@hidden> writes:

> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>>Hi David,
>
>>David Maus wrote:
>>>
>>> Sweet!
>
>>I must add that 14 seconds is the average time for my huge folder. For folder
>>of more traditional sizes (less emails), it's more or less instantaneous...
>
> I suppose (from the timing of the functions) that what takes that long
> is Gnus building the view of the folder.
>
> Just pushed to master.

This commit is incompatible with development Gnus (and, therefore, the
Gnus that will be released with Emacs 24). Going forward, nnimap.el no
longer has the function nnimap-group-overview-filename. Thus, with the
default settings and development gnus, org-follow-link fails on gnus
links to imap links.

For the time being, could we set the default value of
org-gnus-nnimap-query-article-no-from-file to nil? This would allow
users of Courier servers and Emacs 23 to gain the speed benefits without
causing unexpected problems for users of development Gnus.

For reference, here are the full commit details:

commit 6d7b15cf9ff4025c2670e48c08f52e12a8b5928b
Author: David Maus <address@hidden>
Date:   Thu Sep 9 14:16:22 2010 +0200

    Mitigate access to messages on slow IMAP servers.

    * org-gnus.el (org-gnus-nnimap-query-article-no-from-file): New
    customization variable.
    (org-gnus-nnimap-cached-article-number): New function.
    (org-gnus-follow-link): Try to fetch cached article number of
    message-id.

    Some IMAP servers (e.g. Courier) are slow when searching for a message
    by its message id header field.  Because article numbers in IMAP
    mailboxes are persistent UIDs, we can try to look up the UID of a IMAP
    message in Gnus' cache for the mailbox in question and skip the slow
    search on the server.

    The problem with slow server was reported by S?bastien Vauban and the
    patch is based on the work of Tassilo Horn.

Best,
Matt