Re: [Orgmode] Option to prevent auto-insertion of blank lines by M-retur

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Option to prevent auto-insertion of blank lines by M-return?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:35:12 +0200

Hi James,

this is a FAQ:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#blank-line-after-headlines-and-list-items

- Carsten

On Oct 8, 2010, at 11:29 AM, James Harkins wrote:

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'm not having much luck finding the right org-mode customization options (due to the fact that there are so many of them, in combination with my relative noobness).

Here's the behavior I would like to change: I have outline headings with a blank line in between, e.g.

*** MIDI class 2 <2010-10-14 Thu 08:45>

*** MIDI class 3 <2010-10-21 Thu 08:45>

And I want to add more headings underneath MIDI class 2. So I put the cursor at the end of the "MIDI class 2" line and hit M-return. Then I get this:

*** MIDI class 2 <2010-10-14 Thu 08:45>

***

*** MIDI class 3 <2010-10-21 Thu 08:45>

But I would rather get this:

*** MIDI class 2 <2010-10-14 Thu 08:45>
***

*** MIDI class 3 <2010-10-21 Thu 08:45>

I sort of understand that it's replicating the blank space between headings, but I would rather put in the blank space if I want it, instead of the tool assuming that I want it and then forcing me to take it out.

Hoping for a customize option... thanks!
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
address@hidden