[Orgmode] Re: Feature request

From: David Abrahams
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:03:32 -0400

At Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:43:07 -0400,
Bernt Hansen wrote:

> David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> > yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
> >
> >   `C-c C-s . RET'
> >
> > is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> > org-agenda-schedule.  But
> >
> >   `S . RET'
> >
> > is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> > always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> > for, so I could
> >
> >   `S RET'
> >
> > in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> > default schedule-for date?
>
> Hi David,
>
> Why are you rescheduling items everyday?

Because there's always something I didn't get done yesterday, and I
often have pushed too many tasks forward onto a given day, and don't
want to see more than about 15 TODOs in my agenda on any given day.

> That seems like a lot of overhead to me.  What's wrong with leaving
> the item on the first scheduled date and just allow the agenda to
> show how many days it has already been scheduled for -- until you
> mark it DONE?

Because then they show up in the consciousness like a failure instead
of as just what I have to do today, and they tend to pile up and lead
to a state of despair, where the agenda is too daunting to face.  They
need to be processed.  I need to re-negotiate the contract I made with
myself about when they were getting done.

> Alternatively if it's a repeating task, you can use a single day
> repeater and just mark the item DONE to move it to the next day.

It's not.

> One thing I've been trying to do is minimize the amount of time I
> spend on overhead stuff for my tasks and trading that for time I
> actually do work on completing the tasks instead.

Thanks, but I need to do this to keep on track.

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com