[Orgmode] Re: [WISH] Org Importers

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [WISH] Org Importers
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:00:32 -0400

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

>> However, what would be ideal would be if there were a tool which would
>> take a Word document with /track changes/ and generate a patch file for
>> a text version of that document...  that could then provide some
>> mechanism for getting changes back into an org document (modulo problems
>> with line re-arrangements unfortunately).  Just a pipe dream...
> If you allow me some liberty, the suggestion is in two parts
> 1. Word/Pdf/Latex->Org converter
> I have suggested or hinted elsewhere (in a babel thread) the need for
> importing in to Org from other formats.

FWIW, I have a home-brewed perl script that converts latex documents to
org-mode files. Loosely based on latex2doc[1], it uses a latex style
file (generated by the perl script) to markup the pdf output (e.g.
asterisks for section headings, etc.). The org-formatted pdf is then
converted to plain text with pdftotext.

It's a crude and by no means comprehensive hack designed to meet my own
peculiar needs. But I'd be happy to share it on Worg (with ample
disclaimers) if anyone is interested.

[1] http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Latex/latex2doc.php