[Orgmode] Re: markup for small caps ?

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: markup for small caps ?
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:53:46 +0000

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Oct 31, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Dan Davison wrote:
>
>> "Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Aloha Sebastien,
>>>
>>> Arbitrary markup is possible, see
>>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-12
>>>
>>> Using this approach [[latex:textsc][My small caps]] would export to
>>> LaTeX as \textsc{My small caps}.
>>
>> In the Org-buffer I see "My small caps" with a special underlined
>> face. This is standard for links with a non-missing display part,
>> but in
>> the case of non-standard link types such as this I'm not sure it's
>> helpful. I think I'd like to see in my Org buffer what markup is being
>> applied.[1]
>>
>> (Related question -- is there a command I can enter with point on a
>> link
>> which displays the raw text of the link? (temporarily remove
>> overlays at
>> point?))
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> Footnotes:
>> [1]  Maybe add an optional display argument to org-add-link-type
>> which would be a function used by the org-activate-*-link function??
>>

> Hi Dan,
>
> I agree that it would be good to generalize the Org-mode link syntax
> so that it doesn't assume a link representation in the Org-mode buffer
> and in HTML export.  If a link representation was one possibility
> among others, then this syntax would be that much more useful.
>
> As for showing small caps, say, in the Org-mode buffer, I agree that
> this would be nice in this instance.

Hi Tom,

Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't mean that I'd like to
see small caps in the org buffer. What I meant is that I'd prefer to see
something like [[latex:textsc][My small caps]], as opposed to it all
magically being covered up with an overlay displaying "My small
caps". With the overlay, I've no idea that it is a special markup, and
not some form of link.

Dan