[Orgmode] Re: org-latex-to-pdf-process missing?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-latex-to-pdf-process missing?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 07:20:11 -0500

Jeff Horn <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Jeff,

> Ok, that worked. Thanks, Erik.
>
> I'd appreciate your, or anyone else's help with the following
> questions.

I'll take a shot at it :)

> 1) I see stuff floating around the list from time to time about
> "org-install", which I've never had to use, but I gather takes care of
> some autoloads. Is this correct?

Yes this is for autoloads.  I think this is provided for you if you use
the version of org-mode that comes with Emacs.  If you want to use a
newer org-mode from git then you should require org-install so you get
the autoload definitions that go with that version of org-mode.

> 2) I pull once in a while from the git repo and recompile. If I were
> running a fresh installation of emacs with the latest version of
> org-mode, what would the minimum required setup be from the user's
> perspective? I didn't have to add *anything* to my config file for a
> while, and org-mode worked fine.

> 3) Shouldn't org-latex be loaded automatically?

You're referencing a variable in org-latex.  It probably doesn't get
defined until you have auto-loaded org-latex by using some function
provided by that file.  If you want to use the variable before that I
think you need to require the package to force loading it early.

> 4) What else is floating around that I should be requiring?

That depends on what variables you want to use before you load the
corresponding org package I think.

> 5) Aren't (require 'function)'s looked down upon in the user's
> customization file?

They are?  Not that I'm aware of.  I add require lines for anything I
want to have setup before it's called the first time (not that I restart
emacs all that often but it happens.)  I have requires for the following
org packages in my .emacs

  - (require 'org-install)
  - (require 'org-protocol)
  - (require 'org-crypt)