Re: [Orgmode] Link descriptions

From: Thomas S . Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Link descriptions
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:33:38 -1000

On Dec 15, 2010, at 9:34 AM, David Maus wrote:

At Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:09:21 -1000,
Thomas S. Dye wrote:

Aloha all,

After reading through the documentation fairly carefully, link
descriptions are yielding unexpected results.  Perhaps I missed

I have a link defined for citep:

#+source: define-citep-link
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
   "citep" 'ebib
   (lambda (path desc format)
      ((eq format 'latex)
       (format "\\citep[%s]{%s}" desc path)))))

With input like [[citep:jones][Jones]], it works fine, yielding

My hope, however, is to pass page numbers in the description so with
[[citep:jones][123]] I get \citep[123]{jones}.  When I have a
description like this, I get [[citep:jones]$^{123}$] instead.

This looks like a bug to me (at least I wish it would work to pass
page numbers to the \citep command).  Have I overlooked a restriction
on link descriptions?

This is a bug, but not related to links: The LaTeX exporter turns a
sequence like:

Where \d+ is a placeholder for one or more numbers.

The question I cannot answer (yet?) is: Why?

 -- David

Perhaps it has to do with footnotes? That's an org-mode environment with square brackets and, in some instances, a superscript number. Whether or not to set the footnote number superscript or some other way would ideally be handled by the LaTeX class, so shouldn't be something the org-mode LaTeX exporter worries about.

In my LaTeX experience, directly set superscripts outside of math are found in area measurements, e.g. 10~m$^[2}$, but not much else.

These musings are my way of saying that I can't think of a reason ][\d +] should set a superscript in the LaTeX export.

All the best,
All the best,