Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] Zotero for plain text (including org-mode)

From: Erik Hetzner
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] Zotero for plain text (including org-mode)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:52:09 -0800

At Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:27:32 +0100,
Christian Moe wrote:

> Hi, Erik,
>
> Now I've got it working. Not sure what the problem was yesterday.
>
> I can insert a Zotero link with `C-c z i', but it's very touch and go
> -- sometimes it's inserted, sometimes nothing happens, most of the
> time I don't get a description part, and `C-c z u' doesn't necessarily
> work, though sometimes it does.
>
> Below is an excerpt from the MozRepl buffer. Much of the time, though,
> there is no error message, just multiplying "repl>" prompts.
>
> So on a quick test drive, it's not as stable as I'd like. Otherwise, I
> think zotero-plain could be a boon for Org-mode and Zotero users. We
> already could insert Zotero links just as easily with Scott Campbell's
> ZotSelect translator
> (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8306/testing-zoteroselect/). But
> with the added updating of formatted bibliography items, zotero-plain
> has the makings of a full solution.
>
> My own preference has been to export my Zotero collections to BibTeX
> and insert citations with Reftex (fast and minimally disruptive to the
> writing flow, as long as all the needed references are already
> collected.) But it's good to have an alternative.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the feedback. mozrepl interaction is definitely
troublesome; my experience has not been as bad as yours, but there can
be problems.

I have changed zotero.el to reset the mozrepl process frequently; it
is a bit of a hack, but it seems to improve things a bit.T

I am hoping that using the recently announced zotero.org API for
citation generation will be more stable than using mozrepl.

best, Erik