[Orgmode] Re: Capture template and elisp expression

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Capture template and elisp expression
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 16:00:03 +0100

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Štěpán Němec wrote:
>> Why aren't the %() expressions simply evaluated in the original buffer
>> (if available)? That would solve these issues in a general way. It seems
>> to me that there is no advantage to evaluating the expressions in the
>> temporary capture buffer, but I'm not familiar with the code so I might
>> be missing something. Is there a reason for that?
>
> The sexp can be used to insert stuff into the template, so I think it
> is correct to evaluate it in the template buffer.

I don't understand this argument. Of course the _result_ of the
evaluation is inserted into the template, but why is it useful to
evaluate the expression itself in the context of the template buffer? Is
it likely that one would be interested in some information only
available in the template buffer? To me it seems that the much more
likely case is the one of Rainer -- i.e. the need to access variable
bindings from the original buffer (buffer name, mode, other local
variables etc.).

  Štěpán