[Orgmode] [RFC] Give org-format-agenda-item a real format

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: [Orgmode] [RFC] Give org-format-agenda-item a real format
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:18:19 +0100

Hi there,

I'm sending a set of patches from my current `jd/agenda-format-2' branch
visible at [1].

The ultimate goal of this is to replace `org-agenda-prefix-format' by
`org-agenda-format' which controls the whole agenda line format and not
only its prefix. This allows to build much powerful stuff, like:

Wednesday  12 January 2011
  TODO 10:00...... Buy bread (Food)                        :tobuy:perso:

Where (Food) is the category, and TODO the TODO state. With the %() I
added last year, you can even add many more stuff like any property.

I've tried to split the patches in different parts, but this is very
hard because org-agenda is really badly written (no offense :) with very
long functions. I hope that I've at least enhanced things in this area,
with smaller code size and more atomic functions.

The code is in a good shape, but I think it needs more testing from
different users it's more than probable that it has a couple of bugs or
regression.

[ Side note about motivation behind that:
  FWIW, I've started hacking on that in order to build very customized
  agenda views based on contact management. A replacement for bbdb based
  on Org, which is not finished yet due to that limitation I'm trying to
  kick out.[2] I want to be able to make a search view with the contact
  I'm looking for with a customized format like:

    [photo] [HEADING] [email address] [some button]

  which require the possibility to customize the whole line, and not only
  the prefix. ]

[1]
http://git.naquadah.org/?p=~jd/org-mode.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jd/agenda-format-2

[2]  http://git.naquadah.org/?p=org-contacts.git;a=summary