Re: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] Have you also got hooked by Vim?

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] Have you also got hooked by Vim?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:34:30 +0100

Hi Detlef

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 08:32, Detlef Steuer <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would be interested to hear about difficulties you face when using
> org-mode together with viper. Or aren't there any?

If not programming I use Org together with viper almost all the time
when in Emacs and I know only of two small difficulties:

1) With the wrong configuration when using Mac OS X Cocoa Emacs or
Aquamacs there can be slowness in vi/viper insert mode. In a Linux GNU
Emacs 23.2.1 I can not observe such slowness. For a workaround and
more see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/35916

2) Often in a Org table the vi/viper change commands like `ce' do not
replace but insert. I use workarounds like `dei'. In other places than
Org table this issue never happened to me.

I can recommend viper very much with Org and also generally in Emacs
to have the best of both worlds of vi/Vim and Emacs together in one
place. Just for fun I imagine it being a vi with one mode additional
as an extension to the native vi modes like command mode, insert mode,
replace mode: the "Emacs mode". viper shows the letter V, I, R or E
for these four viper modes in the Emacs mode line.

Michael