Re: [Orgmode] Agenda and one-line diary display

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Agenda and one-line diary display
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:15:28 +0100

Hi Rasmus,

Rasmus Pank Roulund <address@hidden> writes:

> I have finally found a tolerable solution to include Google calendars
> into Emacs and thus Org using "emacs-google"[1].
>
> However, one thing is bothering me about the way Org agenda view handles
> my newly populated diary file. It shows too much information! Basically,
> I want /one line per entry/. If I want more info I'll just hit the
> entry. The reason is that I will often include a lot of extra
> information for each calendar/diary entry. When needed, I will fetch it
> but it usually preclude the overview that I wish to obtain in the agenda
> view.
>
> Here is a simple agenda example:
>
> ,----
> |   Diary:      Semester start
> |   Diary:      Location: Lund University
> |   Diary:      Status: CONFIRMED             (UID: address@hidden)
> `----
>
> And the corresponding diary code:
>
> ,----
> | %%(and (diary-block 1 17 2011 1 17 2011)) Semester start
> |    Location: Lund University
> `----
>
> What I want to agenda view to show is merely:
>
> ,----
> |   Diary:      Semester start
> `----
>
> Or, even better:
>
> ,----
> |   Diary:      Semester start (Lund University)
> `----

We can hack around to display multilines diary entries on a single agenda
line but then this diary entry would not properly sneak into the agenda:

02/11/2011
  Bill B. visits Princeton today
  2pm Cognitive Studies Committee meeting
  2:30-5:30 Liz at Lawrenceville
  4:00pm Dentist appt
  7:30pm Dinner at George's
  8:00-10:00pm concert

I guess many people have such multilines entries.

So I'd say for now no, you cannot reduce your diary entry to just one
line.

Best,

--
 Bastien