Re: [Orgmode] org+emacs vs CLI

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org+emacs vs CLI
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:22:42 -0600

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi list,

I do think CLI clients for org would be nice, as discussed in the
taskwarrior thread, but really, IMO, emacs+org will always be faster
to input and query org data.

What do you think?

I tend to agree if emacs is open. "C-a s + search term" will always beat "cat ~/org/* | grep search term". I still wouldn't mind having something quick like "t call so and so" that could obey some type of remember rule and end up as "* TODO call so and so".

Again, if emacs is open, it's a snap. I mostly see the cli useful for very, very simple things that one needs to do when working on something else. From the gist of the mailing list, many people here live in emacs. I can't do emails out of it due to company firewall, do much of my work in a lab away from my desk, or am in some type of office suite. I use org for notes, todos, and contacts. If I'm not summarizing some notes from my work... org probably isn't open (but a terminal often is) and a cli tool for todos would be pretty nifty.

John

Cheers,

Marcelo.