[Orgmode] Grouping clock report by tag?

From: John Hendy
Subject: [Orgmode] Grouping clock report by tag?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:25:10 -0600

Hi,

I just decided to try to start clocking tasks and would find it most helpful to organize by tag, not file. Perhaps my filing system is unorthodox, but I originally started using an org file per work project but just found it cumbersome when it came to recording my notes since I'd be switching back and forth between many files. I suppose I could have used capture for this, but I think my current system makes more sense. It is to use one file per month and the format is like so:

,-----
| ~/org/2011-02Feb.org
| ---
| * [2011-02-04 Fri]...
| * [2011-02-08 Tue]...
| * [2011-02-22 Tue]...
| ** Description of something I did          :project-name:
| CLOCK: [whatever]--[whatever]
| Notes
| ** Something else I did this day            :other-project:
| CLOCK: [whatever]--[whatever]
| Notes
`-----

Hopefully that's clear. I like this method as it keeps file sizes down and just seems more organized than how I was before.

In any case, I realize that I can setup clock reports with something like =:tags "project-name"= to get a report for a particular tag. That can at least give me per-project reports for a given timeframe, but I wouldn't mind the ability to have something that shows all my time but includes tags somehow.

Perhaps it would display the headline (which is actually nice since my top headlines are the dates), then the sub-item (which would be helpful because it would be a description of what I was doing), but somehow give a summary of time-per-tag or a column that lists the tag for teach task as well? Is this possible? That would be great as I'd be able to get a snapshot of how I spent my day per project.

Again.. manually, this is possible as I can create a "clockreport.org" file with a headline per project with a specific =:tag "project-name"= argument and then I could add up times and compare them from there. Though perhaps there's a better way to get something like this as well?

Thanks for any thoughts or even sharing how you use clocking when it comes to analyzing the data afterward.

Best regards,
Joh