Re: [O] Re: Slow movement in large buffers

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Re: Slow movement in large buffers
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:42:01 +0100

On 15.3.2011, at 15:09, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Hello,
>
> following up on this issue, I have just run into it again.  I'm editing
> a not very large document and suddenly things slowed down, mostly but
> not exclusively for "next-line":

> next-line                                                     18
> 2.1547069999  0.1197059444
> previous-line                                                 19
> 0.4066669999  0.0214035263
> org-mode-flyspell-verify                                      16
> 5.299...e-05  3.312...e-06
>
> This happened when I started a new source code block (gnuplot, to be
> exact) but didn't type in the end_src line for a while.  The problem
> seems to be due to font-locking and it tries to font-lock the whole
> document initially.  When I eventually get around to typing the end_src
> line, it font-locks correctly but things are slow thereafter.  There
> seems to be some hysteresis loop in the code...

This sounds like a bug that needs to be fixed in the block fontifications,
maybe a limit for how far to search for the end line.  regular expressions
that match many lines need to be carefully constructed - there are possible
backtracking traps that can make the matching time scale as the number of
characters squared.

- Carsten