Re: [O] hide #+ lines?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] hide #+ lines?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 21:42:12 -0400

Filippo A. Salustri <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 19 March 2011 18:26, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Another similar solution (cribbed from this list, but I don't remember
> > who suggested it) is to define a drawer and put all that stuff in it -

That was Carsten: see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2722/focus=2732
and there is another bit of setup needed to keep the drawer closed to begin
with. Carsten suggested

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook
       (lambda () (org-cycle-hide-drawers 'all)))

> Juan & Nick,
> I like your ideas, but my case is a little different.  I only want to
> hide the BEGIN/END statements, not what comes between them.
> That is, I'm using a trick Ido Magal suggested
> (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/39226).
> It works fine, except I see all the distracting block directives.

The first line in the posting you point to is not org-mode related at
all: it asks emacs to eval the form when the file is visited. Since
emacs requires that to be the *first* line you cannot do anything about
that. However, there is another way to specify local variables: in a
"Local variables" section at the end of the file. That *can* be put into a
drawer:

:SETUP:
# Local variables:
# eval: (org-update-all-dblocks)
# End:
:END:

but it becomes the "personal property" of the last headline, so if that
is folded, the drawer is completely invisible and if it's deep in the
tree it becomes difficult to find. I would put it under its own
headline, perhaps "* COMMENT setup".

The #+BEGIN: ... / #+END surrounding the output of the dblock cannot be
hidden afaik, but are they really distracting? I find them helpful in
focusing my eyes on the output.

Nick