Re: [O] org table calc and lisp for hh:mm timetable

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] org table calc and lisp for hh:mm timetable
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:36:11 +0100

Hi,

If we're not just looking for a neat workaround for some special cases anymore, but looking at making org-tables aware of time-like strings by default, a better strategy than to convert them into integers might be to translate them into Calc time format and back again.

After all, Calc and hence the Org spreadsheet already handles time arithmetic perfectly well, it's just that it would be nice to have this functionality with the extra option to enter and display times as =12:45= rather than =12@ 45'= or =12h 45m=.

(Personally, I can live with a =12h 45m= format, which is already a Calc option: info:calc#HMS%20Forms, info:calc#HMS%20Formats.)

Consider this:

| Departure              | Travel time | Arrival                |
|------------------------+-------------+------------------------|
| [2011-03-22 Tue 23:15] | 7@ 05'      | <2011-03-23 Wed 06:20> |
#+TBLFM: $3=<$1>+$2

With Calc, you can add a HMS time to a date-time and get the resulting date-time. However, Calc apparently interprets integers as days, not minutes or seconds. So if you convert 7:05 to an integer (425) and add it to a date-time, you get a date about one year and two months ahead. (Converting 7:05 to the integer 0.295139 days would work... but with rounding problems.)

The Org spreadsheet already allows us to give the date-time as an Org-style timestamp rather than in the Calc date format by using the angle brackets in the formula. The solution would be similar option for time-like strings, so we could write the travel time above as =7:05=, and so the result below would be returned as =7:05=.

| Arrival                | Departure              | Travel time |
| <2011-03-23 Wed 06:20> | [2011-03-22 Tue 23:15] | 7@ 5' 0"    |
#+TBLFM: $3=time(<$1>-<$2>)

Yours,
Christian