Re: [O] Error message while compiling - sha1

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Error message while compiling - sha1
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:54:59 -0400

Asuptyam Bryuluanemon <address@hidden> wrote:

> While following the installation instructions on
> http://orgmode.org/guide/Installation.html#Installation
>
> I get an error message after issuing the make command
>
> While compiling toplevel forms in file ~/src/org-7.5/lisp/org-feed.el:
>   !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "sha1"))
> Done
> make: *** [lisp/org-feed.elc] Error 1
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well, either your load-path is not set correctly or you are missing the file.
sha1.el is a file that is distributed with emacs. In my case, it is in

        /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/sha1.elc

but depending on which version of emacs you have and how you installed it,
it may be in a different directory.

Try locating it with

    M-x locate-library <RET> sha1 <RET>

If not found, try to find where standard elisp files are located in your
setup and see if sha1.el or sha1.elc is in there as well (e.g. try

    M-x locate-library <RET> files <RET>

That should certainly be found: check the directory and see if sha1.el
and/or sha1.elc is in that directory. If not, your installation is
probably incomplete. If it is there, try loading it with

   M-x load-library <RET> sha1 <RET>

If all of that works, the compilation of org-feed.el should work as well.
If not, send another note and include the output of all the commands above
as well as the version of emacs you are running:

   M-x emacs-version

Nick