Re: [O] DITAA and Unicode characters [babel]

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] DITAA and Unicode characters [babel]
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:13:41 -0600

Hi Juan,

Juan Pechiar <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Out of the box, ob-ditaa does not work with non-ascii characters.
>
> I looked into the problem in order to answer a user request on
> StackOverflow (yes, there are org-mode questions posted there instead
> of here!).
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5758498/problem-with-ditaa-and-foreign-characters-in-org-mode

Thanks for catching questions in these other forums.

> In order for ditaa to accept UTF-8 characters in the input file, it
> must be called with the corresponding property setting:
>
>    java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -jar path/to/ditaa.jar ...

I just pushed up a change to ob-ditaa which adds a new header argument,
namely :java through which options can be passed to the java command.
With that patch the following should work

#+begin_src ditaa :file ... :cmdline -e utf-8 -r -v :java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
#+end_src

> Attached is a dirty patch for hard-coding this property setting.
>
> I don't know what the proper way of setting this property should be:
>
>  - somehow setting it system-wide (any Java guru out there?).
>
>  - or adding a customization to ob-ditaa.el for this property
>
>  - or adding magic to ob-ditaa so that the same encoding of the buffer
>    gets set to this Java property
>
> I can help with the implementation if given some feedback on the above
> options.

Now that there is a :java header argument for ditaa code, the following
could be put in a user's init file to set this flag for *all* ditaa code
run on their system.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (push '(:java . "-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8") org-babel-default-header-args:ditaa)
#+end_src

I wonder if there would be any downside to adding this as a default
value?  This could be added to `org-babel-default-header-args:ditaa' in
ob-ditaa.el.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte