Re: [O] org babel support for tcl and awk

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] org babel support for tcl and awk
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 17:51:01 -0600

"Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric(s),
>
> Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>>> this is great to see as I use awk quite often. What is involved in
>>> extending this to be able to run an awk script on input from within the org
>>> file (output of another babel block, for instance, as my typical use of awk
>>> is to re-arrange output from another program...)? Or, if you wish, can you
>>> suggest one of the ob-XXX modules that best illustrates how to do this and
>>> I can give it a try?
>>
>> I've made a quick change so that any variable named "stdin" is treated
>> specially, in that, rather than using its value to replace strings of $stdin
>> in the text of the awk code, the value of the stdin variable is saved into
>> the file processed by awk. This allows awk to operate over Org-mode
>> references.
>>
>> If babel code block supported a pipe or an actual stdin header argument,
>> that would be the ideal way to add this behavior, but currently nothing of
>> that nature exists.
>>
>> Please let me know if this misses part of your suggestion, or more generally
>> what else may be advisable before we add this to the core.
>
> Could this be implemented for sh as well?
>
> AFAI understand, this is exactly the missing piece for me to be able to:

Hi Seb,

Unfortunately this simple hack for ob-awk does not address the need you
link to below -- which I am aware of and which is on my list of larger
longer-term Babel development items.  I think that a future piping
implementation will be the ultimate solution to the issues you address.

Such an implementation -- allowing data to flow between concurrently
executing blocks utilizing posix pipes -- will require more
sophisticated processes interaction and possibly some form of
multi-threaded elisp execution.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte