Re: [O] Links and visual-line-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Links and visual-line-mode
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 16:16:56 +0200

On 2.6.2011, at 07:58, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Scott Randby <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Cannot reproduce this either on emacs 23.1.1 or emacs 24.0.50 - the only
>>> versions I have available here. org-mode is from earlier today.
>>>
>>> The word-wrap documentation suggests some interaction with
>>> truncate-lines and truncate-partial-width-windows, so that might be a
>>> path of investigation.  But when I try setting truncate-lines to t
>>> (which does truncate long lines even though "Wrap" is still on the mode
>>> line) and then do (visual-line-mode 1), the variable is set back to nil
>>> again. In any case, inserting links does not cause any other changes, no
>>> matter what I set the variable to.
>>
>> In my .emacs, I have pop-up-windows set to nil. If I change that setting
>> to t, then visual-line-mode keeps working when C-c C-l is used to insert
>> a link. Changing pop-up-windows back to nil causes the bad behavior.
>>
>> One reason I want pop-up-windows to be set to nil is because I
>> frequently use C-x C-b to look at the buffer list. If pop-up-windows is
>> set to t, then C-x C-b opens the buffer list in a pop-up window while
>> the active cursor is in the other window. This is ridiculous.
>>
>> I found this message about org-mode and pop-up windows in the mailing
>> list archives:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2009-04/msg00712.html
>>
>> While the issue described is not the same as mine, the complaint about
>> org-mode not playing nice when pop-up-windows is set to nil is still valid.
>>

> Yes, with pop-up-windows set to nil, I can reproduce it too.
> The problem is that truncate-lines is set to t inside org-insert-link.

Yes, but only after the focus was switched to the *Org Link* buffer which is
shown in order to select a link.  truncate-lines is automatically buffer-local,
so it should not effect its value in other buffers.  Is truncate-lines modified
after inserting a link????

> When I comment that out, I get the behavior you expect. The question is:
> why is truncate-lines set to t?

To get just one line per link, so to get a nicely
organized selection buffer.

- Carsten