[O] "No definition for class" error in export to latex

From: Levy, Roger
Subject: [O] "No definition for class" error in export to latex
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:11:14 -0700

Hi,

I am an org-mode newbie and trying to learn how to export to latex and html
from the command line, and have encountered a difficulty when I include a
custom class in the latex header.  Here's a sample file ("test-file.org") I'm
using:

***

#+TITLE: Test
#+LaTeX_CLASS: apa

file contents

***

and here is the command I'm using:

/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs -batch \
    --visit=test-file.org \
    --funcall org-export-as-latex-batch

which gives me the output

OVERVIEW
Exporting to LaTeX...
No definition for class `apa' in `org-export-latex-classes'

and no .tex file output.  From within Aquamacs, I don't get this error,
presumably because I have the following in my .emacs file:

(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
             '("apa"
               "\\documentclass{apa}
               [NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
               \\usepackage{graphicx}
               \\usepackage{apacite}"
               ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
               ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
               ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
))

How can I make this modification of org-export-latex-classes from the command
line?  I have tried putting the above content in a file ("$HOME/tmp/add.el")
and making the call

/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs -batch \
    --load $HOME/tmp/add.el \
    --visit=test-file.org \
    --funcall org-export-as-latex-batch

but this gives me the error

  Symbol's value as variable is void: org-export-latex-classes

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!  This is GNU Emacs 23.3.1
(Aquamacs 2.2) and Org mode 7.5.

Incidentally, trying to export to HTML with

/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs -batch \
    --visit=test-file.org \
    --funcall org-export-as-html-batch

complains differently:

OVERVIEW
Exporting...
File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
"html-helper-mode")
Exporting...
Exporting...
File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
"html-helper-mode")
Saving file /tmp/test-file.html...
Wrote /tmp/test-file.html
HTML export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard

but it actually does produce a sensible html file.

Many thanks in advance for patience with my newbie question.

Best

Roger