Re: [O] HTML5 presentations

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [O] HTML5 presentations
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:35:52 -0500

On 6/16/11 Jun 16 -2:29 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Robert Goldman <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Tassilo
>>>

>> I have tried the version here:
>> https://github.com/twada/org-html5presentation.el
>>
>> and it does not seem to be ready for prime-time.  Org-babel features
>> don't work, and there seems to be not a clear integration with the
>> org-export-preprocessor.  See my two issues, one (not satisfactorily)
>> closed, one open.
>>
>> Possibly this should be folded into contrib, so that people could
>> cooperate on it more easily than when it lives off in a separate git
>> repo, but it shouldn't be enabled for the unwary until it's been
>> thoroughly exercised.
>>
>> Is there a "tries to use all features" org presentation somewhere that
>> would serve as a good acid test for an export facility?  It would be
>> very handy to have that.
>>

> This export target seems to re-implement much of the org HTML export
> mechanics which is most likely the reason for the incomplete coverage of
> Org's large functionality.
>
> Perhaps it would be possible to change this so that it works more like
> org-s5, that is, so that it firsts exports using the existing html
> export functionality, and then simply manipulates the resulting html.

Alternatively, would it be possible to have this behave mostly like
conventional HTML export (i.e., have the org-export-current-backend be
'html), and then simply have the code that does the emitting override
particular bits of the normal org-html behavior?

The problem with this approach is that a side-effect of setting the
org-export-current-backend to 'foo is to (require 'org-foo).  This means
it's difficult to make something like org-export-as-html5presentation be
parasitic on org-export-as-html...

I confess to not understanding how beamer and conventional latex export
interact; possibly that would provide valuable precedent for this.

best,