Re: [O] HTML5 presentations

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] HTML5 presentations
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:20:33 +0530

> Admittedly I don't know what transformation are required by the html5
> presentation mechanism, however I would think that an approach like that
> taken in org-export-as-s5 [1], in which the existing org-export-as-html
> is simply wrapped in a let-form which sets variable values uses hooks to
> post-process, should be the simplest and would leverage as much of the
> existing machinery as possible.

To strengthen my argument for the generic backend agnostic driver in
org-odt branch, here are few concrete examples from org-s5.

org-s5 requires an insider understanding (see [1]) of what org does in
the background. Using my exporter wouldn't place such a huge
responsibility on the user part.

With [2] in mind, `org-export-content-div' on the current org-html.el be

[3] could also be elegantly handled with the new driver.

Let me re-iterate, I strongly urge that such one-off solutions be built
on top of html exporter in org-odt branch. It will help make the new
backend-agnostic driver evolve and more usable. Everyone would benefit.

While we are on the topic of presentations, let me add that with my new
exporter building a html/odt presentations along OpenOffice lines [4]
would be quite easy. That is one can make a generic presentation driver
out of the existing document driver.

IMHO let's not fallback on hacks when elegant solutions are readily

Let me note that I am not interested in presentations so much as to
build a patch for or improve org-s5/org-html5.

In effect, my argument is for embracing and extending the
org-html/org-odt and help it evolve in more useful ways.

ps: I recognize that org-s5 creates useful presentations and gets the
job done.

[1]  Snippet of org-s5

  (lambda ()
    (let ((class "slide"))
       (lambda ()
           (org-back-to-heading t)
           (when (= (car (org-heading-components)) 1)
             (put-text-property (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)
                                'html-container-class class)))))))))

(lambda ()
     (regexp-quote "<div id=\"content\">")
     (let ((info `(("author" . ,author)
                   ("title" . ,title)
                   ("date" . ,(substring date 0 10)))))
       (join `("<div class=\"layout\">"
               "<div id=\"controls\"><!-- no edit --></div>"
               "<div id=\"currentSlide\"><!-- no edit --></div>"
               "<div id=\"header\"></div>"
               "<div id=\"footer\">"
               ,(org-fill-template org-s5-title-string-fmt info)
               "<div class=\"presentation\">"
               ,(org-fill-template org-s5-title-page-fmt info)))))))

(lambda ()
     (regexp-quote "<div id=\"table-of-contents\">")
     "<div id=\"table-of-contents\" class=\"slide\">")))