Re: [O] Org-mode is not able to manage complex calendar events

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode is not able to manage complex calendar events
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:38:18 +0100

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> * Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In my case, it's more about calendar events than tasks.  My tasks are
>> typically for my information only but meetings etc involve multiple
>> people.
> IMHO: Org-mode does *not* seem to be made for managing calendar
> events that go beyond simple one-time-occurrence events.

I would argue that this is not at all the case, especially if you
consider that org uses a tree hierarchy and tags so that one can group
separate entries in a variety of ways, you can clone with time shift
whole trees, etc.  Most calendar tools require you to specify all the
conditions for a particular "event" in one go whereas with org you can
have a number of different entries for the same "event"... etc.

Also, with sexp, you can manage practically anything you might like
although, of course, it does require learning a certain amount of
elisp.  Recurring events with exceptions are not a problem, for

In any case, as always with computer tools, what works for you is what
matters!  For me, org is just plainly much more suitable for my mode of
working; every other calendar system I have tried has constrained me
much more.  But that's *me*.

> but you
> *have* to support at least the same featureset of Outlook Calendar
> in order to think of a (two-way-) sync mechanism to Org-mode.

I guess this depends on what types of events you are likely to have in
the outlook calendar.  In my case, only a small feature set is likely
necessary (mostly repeating lectures and one off meetings) so a sync
should be possible.  I don't think anybody is proposing a full-blown
totally automatic sync mechanism between org and Outlook (or whatever)
that covers the union of the two products' feature sets...  insanity
lies in that direction ;-)

But I'll worry about this later this year when forced to use MS...

: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.410.gadf1)