Re: [O] org-babel -- Improper syntax error in session mode?

From: Herbert Sitz
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel -- Improper syntax error in session mode?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:09:08 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
> There are times when I explicitly do not want a session to start fresh.
> Generally this is related to caching, for example if I have some value
> which is expensive (say a couple of minutes of computation) to compute,
> and it is currently alive in the session, then I'd probably rather keep
> my session active across multiple exports as I'm working on other (say
> visual/prose tweaks) to the exported document.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> If the user did want to refresh the session on _every_ export I believe
> they could add such a function to the `org-export-preprocess-hook'.
>
> Cheers -- Eric

Eric --

That makes perfect sense.  However to the extent reproducibility is a concern it
would make me uneasy to have a default that does nothing to enforce
reproducibility; and instead to have it controlled in a hook behind-the-scenes.

An acceptable alternative it seems to me, would be to put an elisp source block
at begin of document to reset the session, and then to use that block to control
whether session is reset.  That way it's clear to user exactly what's happening.

-- Herb