[O] Babel: 1st version for music notation language Fomus

From: Torsten Anders
Subject: [O] Babel: 1st version for music notation language Fomus
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 18:34:51 +0100

Dear Babel developers,

Inspired by the newly available Lilypond, I hacked up a first version of
language support for Fomus (http://fomus.sourceforge.net/). Briefly, Fomus is a
music notation system that translates a relatively simple domain specific music
language into multiple output formats, including Lilypond and MusicXML (the
latter is an open format supported by many commercial music notation systems
such as Finale and Sibelius). In a nutshell, Fomus can simplify the generation
of complex scores, because it can add various score information automatically.
Anyway, please find my first attempt of a Fomus integration attached.

This works already fine for standard code blocks such as the following. Note
that the result of this is a Lilypond file.

#+begin_src fomus :file test1.ly
  time 0 dur 2 pitch 60;
  time 2 dur 1 pitch 62;
  time 3 dur 1 pitch 63;
  time 4 dur 4 pitch 65;
#+end_src

Of course, because this is a quick hack, various improvements can be made. For
example, it might be a good idea to allow for something like :file test.pdf,
where the resulting Lilypond call would see file.ly, but the automatically
inserted link in the org buffer would be the resulting file.pdf.

Comments are welcome.

Best wishes,
Torsten

--