Re: [O] disable "org-decrypt: auto-save-mode may cause leakage"

From: Pieter Praet
Subject: Re: [O] disable "org-decrypt: auto-save-mode may cause leakage"
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:50:30 +0200

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:42:58 +0200, "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Pieter,
>
> Pieter Praet wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:37:34 +0200, "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden>
> > wrote:

> >> So did I. This is the default.

> >> Shouldn't its default value better be set to 'encrypt?
> >
> > I don't think so.
> >
> > It only re-encrypts entries which are tagged :crypt: (or whatever you
> > have `org-crypt-tag-matcher' set to), so I'd prefer users to be "forced"
> > to at least read the docstring so as not to be using it with a false
> > sense of security.
> >
> > Though this could be easily solved by automatically tagging entries upon
> > encryption, I think it's more "considerate" to simply (ask to) disable
> > `auto-save-mode' for the current buffer, as it's quite annoying to have
> > an entry get re-encrypted while you're in the middle of typing something.
>
> This is more clear to me, and makes a lot of sense.
>
> Though, what I find annoying, and the OP as well, is to be asked that question
> for buffers which do not contain any encrypted entry. Would it be possible to
> scan the buffer for such entries, and only ask the user when the buffer is
> potentially exposed?

AFAIK, that should already be the case.

Even when running with the following config...

  #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
    (add-hook 'find-file-hook 'org-decrypt-entries)
  #+END_SRC

... the user shouldn't get prompted needlessly, because `org-decrypt-entries'
applies `org-decrypt-entry' (which does the `auto-save-mode' check) *only*
to entries with a tag matching `org-crypt-tag-matcher' [1].

So prompting should only occur for buffers for which `auto-save-mode' is
enabled AND which contain one or more entries tagged with `crypt'
(regardless of whether the entry is actually encrypted, but that's
beside the point) UNLESS running `org-decrypt-entry' (auto-)manually for
each buffer.

I suspect it's a user config issue.

> Best regards,
>   Seb