Re: [O] Largest org file you have + performance

From: Florian Beck
Subject: Re: [O] Largest org file you have + performance
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 20:13:28 +0200

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey list,
>

> What's the largest orgmode file you have, and what's the performance you get
> while manipulating/navigating it? Mine is a 5k lines
> file called reference.org, and I basically keep all kind of notes and
> attachments there. It's a bit slow to navigate on my Emacs
> 240.50.1, orgmode 7.4, although still usable. I'm just afraid that it will
> keep getting slower with time at the point of being
> unusable inside emacs+orgmode. I'm curious if there are users with larger
> orgmode files and what their experience is, and open to
> suggestions on how to improve performance.

emacs-bzr, org-7.7

The largest file I have is 7.2M. Some 6300 entries, 137k lines. Agenda
commands are slow, of course, but otherwise the performance is
acceptable. Anything that involves completion is quite slow. Opening ID
links is also slower than I would like. Anything that works on the whole
buffer can take a long time (cycling from OVERVIEW to CONTENTS takes more
than a minute), so try to avoid that. (I keep old notes in that file, so
mostly I search or link to entries.)

If you are using the current bzr version of emacs, make sure to set
`bidi-display-reordering' to nil.

--
Florian Beck